Wednesday, January 18, 2012

God's Amazing Gifts


The Maine Millers----ALL FOUR OF US!

I was studying James with my high school girl's class on Sunday. We're just beginning our study, and I think it's going to be amazing. One of the things we were talking about was of course the theme of trials. Now, I'm not saying I know very much about trials, because I have been soooooo blessed, but the study made the point that big or little trials, it's always important to know that God is the giver of good gifts. He can be trusted. He is good. (If you've been reading this blog, you know this isn't a new thought for me!) Verse 17 of chapter 1 reads: "Every good and perfect gift is from God. It comes down from the Father. He created the heavenly lights. He does not change like shadows that move."

Well, God has given us a wonderful gift and like the extraodinary gift giver he is, this one was wrapped in a package that had his divine fingerprints all over it!

On Sunday I waddled my way to church with the family. I woke that morning with words to a song about waiting going through my mind. I had a sweet peace and a joy in knowing that God was using this waiting time and I should be praising Him in it. That lasted for about 30 min. and then the day came crashing in on me. The morning was busy with Ethan, preparation of breakfast, and getting ready for church. This was probably one morning I wasn't too eager to be with everyone at church. I knew every one would be asking about the baby and WHEN the baby would be arriving. I knew it was all in love, but still if THEY were impatient and wondering, surely I was more so!

And in the midst of my not so good thinking God presented the first glimpse of the package that would soon be coming our way. Due to our interim pastor being ill, the message was given by one of our memembers. It was a message about being an active part of the body of the church and like its theme, it called for participation. We prayed for several people and the things that God was doing in their lives. Todd and I were among these people. What a sense of love I felt as dear brothers and sisters in Christ prayed for us, even though normally such attention would frustrate me!

I pondered later how God wants us to live in relationship with each other so that together we can glorify Him as He moves and works in our lives. I want to live in a way that makes much of Him, and this was an opportunity for that to happen.

It certainly was, because as the day continued I kept having contractions. By supper time I was thinking that maybe things were actually happening. By 7 pm I started timing things. By 9 pm we were heading to the hospital.

The saints had prayed, and God had chosen to answer their prayers. We would not have to be induced later this week! And God had chosen His time to move so that He would be glorified and the body encouraged.

That night I would also learn more of how God had been working. One of the nurses caring for us was a believer. She was praying for me during the labor and delivery. We had a chance to talk the next day and encourage each other in the Lord. How sweet!

So God gave us a wonderful gift in our daughter, Lydia Suzanne Miller. And he gave it to us gift wrapped in His extravagent and personal love. What a wonderful God!


Our girl....all 9 lbs 14 oz of her!


We're going HOME! YEAH!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Congratulations! I know we haven't kept in touch since I moved, but I do keep up with your blog and I'm so excited for your new addition. Thanks for sharing.

Cousin Julie said...

Yea!! and congratulations! We're very excited for you and glad that you can finally see your beautiful baby girl.

Love,
The New York Ruhlings