Airplane Happenings
Funny how things are different for the second child. They just always seem to do things earlier! Ethan went on his first airplane trip to visit Mimi and Papa when he was six months old. Lydia just accomplished this feat at eight weeks of age!
Both the kids did a great job flying on the way out. It was a great day. We were excited and the whole day seemed to go smoothly. Lots of smiles.
The visit with Mimi and Papa was wonderful, too. But more about that in another post.
The trip back to home began much like the trip out, only with many, "I miss Mimi"'s from a sad little boy. We had two layovers on this trip. The second layover began with a delay, but we almost welcomed this so that we could grab something to eat for supper. The delay of course stretched beyond it's predicted time and that's when things began to get interesting.
While we waited, we were again the source of great entertainment to many. Ethan was busy playing with his race cars and also pretending to be a race car. He turned an open area on the tiled floor into his race track. It was a good way to get some energy out and as long as there weren't too many people around he was free to do just that.
We continued to keep an eye out for our plane, which was delayed in coming to the gate. When it arrived, we were thankful and eager for a quicky turnabout. I watched as dark clouds began to gather on the horizong. Then a lightning strike. I began to wonder if we'd be delayed further. Ethan heard all of this and suddenly, like a prophet of old began to pound his fist in his hand and say rather loudly, "We need God. We need God. We need God." When I asked him why, he replied, "God can stop the rain." True. But could we state this theological truth a little more quietly I wondered.
Shortly afterwards we did board the plane. It would be later till we arrived home, but things still weren't too bad. We took our seats for the final flight. Todd was sitting a row in front of us, and I was next to a gentlemen that I felt a little badly for. This feeling would later intensify!
Now those who have experiences flying, know a family with small children is always a wild card. The kids may be a wonderful addition to the flight, or introduce new miseries to an already long and trying day. Many people groan when they are in the area of such a family. Other feel compassion remembering the time that they were "that family". That family with the crying kids that just can't keep quiet.
Well, we became that family. It started innocently. A full diaper. Did I want to change it here and subject this man next to me to a diaper change as well as Lydia needing to eat during the flight? She was happy and asleep. Maybe we'd be okay.
Ethan was doing okay too. Hungry and totally disappointed that once again there were no snacks being offered with the drinks on this plane, but okay. We began to descend to our home airport. Yeah. I smelled victory (and it wasn't Lydia's diaper).
No comments:
Post a Comment