It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
What a fun time of year! There's much to be done, but a lot of happiness in the process. As I've "hauled out the holly" I've been thinking about why we go to these great lengths. I mean, why try to totally transform the house so that flashes of green and red are seen everywhere? Why bake so many cookies and goodies...especially when they aren't exactly healthy for anyone? Why write Christmas letters and cards? And why do we search and search for just the right gifts? Well, I suppose there could be many answers to those questions, but I've been prayerfully asking God to make my answer JESUS. I want it all to speak of Him. As I strung lights up outside and put candles in our windows, I prayed that God's light would shine from our family and that He would use us to share His love with others. As I've decorated our house, I've asked that others would visit us and ask what all the celebration was about. I've prayed that I wouldn't be doing this just for us, but that it would be a service to Him. As I've begun baking cookies, I've prayed that they might be given to others and used in some way to draw them closer to Him. As I've started the Christmas cards and letters, I've thanked God for those that are near and dear to our hearts and been praying for each of them. And as I've started shopping and wrapping, I've been thinking about God's greatest gift of all His Son, and wondering why sometimes it's so much easier to give a gift than to share God's gift with those around me? So, my heart's desire this Christmas is that the things I do will be for His glory and speak of my relationship with Him.
That does mean I'll still be having a lot of fun, especially with Ethan this Christmas season. Ethan's been enjoying the lights and decorations. (Just wait til the tree goes up!) He's also had an early Christmas present to warm up his unwrapping skills. Judging from the looks of delight I've seen in his eyes, it will be a joy filled holiday!
Hope your Christmas preparations are also meaningful and joyful!
No comments:
Post a Comment