Thursday, June 23, 2011

Birthday Time is Here and Gone!

Hard to believe, but Ethan has turned FOUR. Several weeks ago Ethan began telling us he'd start doing certain things after he turned four. The biggest one was probably leading the meal time prayer. He actually started doing it before he turned four thanks to his zeal for a favorite prayer they sometimes use before snack at church. I'm eager to see the getting dressed by himself, making the bed, and unbuckling himself from the carseat myself!

When we asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he mainly listed two things.
1. A train cake (preferably a pink train cake)
2. Chick (The green guy in the Disney Cars movie. For months we've had a yellow Chick, because well that's what we had!)

Ethan got to have a birthday party in Missouri with Mimi, Papa, his cousins, and some other friends and family the day before his actual birthday. As we got ready for the party, Ethan asked if we could make birthday hats. (Thanks to seeing this in an episode in his beloved TV show Caillou.) So, we got out some paper, tape, and ribbon, and whallah! A happy birthday boy!

There really would not have been a party if not for Mimi. I spent most of the day working on this-


I tried to make it more red than pink. But it was strawberry with a strawberry filling inside, so there was some pink to please the boy. I almost bit off more than I could chew with this cake. Thankfully some reinforcing straws kept all the layers from sliding and creating a real train wreck. He was pretty happy with the cake and I even got a sticker from him for all my efforts!



It was a fun evening, and Ethan enjoyed time with the other kids. He also thought his presents were pretty cool.

The next morning I wished him Happy Birthday when we woke up. He looked at my with a puzzled look and asked why it was his birthday again. He didn't really complain when I tried to explain things to him. Especially after he had his favorite breakfast of sausage and biscuits! We had a fun day and a busy day. Ethan got to see his cousin playing baseball. He was very interested in everything and was ready with his camera and his glove to catch any action.

Of course there were a few more presents. I wonder if Chick could be in one of these?

YEAH....he was!!!!




He also liked getting a few presents before his birthday and cards when we got back. I'd say it was a pretty special birthday.

1 comment:

Ray Thomas said...

Hi guys! Fantastic stories, all. Only 4 year olds do this stuff. Four is a great age and Ethan is a GREAT looking boy!. Thanks for catching me up on your happenings! Sounds like exciting times in the Miller household. I think of you often and remember you with much love. Susan and I are well! God bless you all! We love you!
Ray