Sunday, July 1, 2007

We learn from our children....

Over the past two weeks Todd and I have had lots of opportunities to learn from Ethan, but today Todd and I had a unique experience. Pastor Mike has started a series of sermons on the Beatitudes. I'm learning much, and ever so grateful that God gives wisdom to help us understand what He's trying to tell us. The first part of the sermon explained what Jesus meant when He said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.". I'd probably heard it explained before, but Pastor Mike held Ethan at the front of the church and used him as an illustration that will make it stick with me forever. He asked Ethan to go get a water bottle sitting a few chairs away. Of course, our little man was sound asleep and oblivious to all that was being asked of him. Pastor explained how Ethan can't do things for himself and is completely dependent on others to meet his needs, which is what Jesus was talking about when he spoke of being poor in spirit. If we're poor in spirit, we're completely depending on Jesus to meet our need to connect us to God. Praise God for providing what we need!

I know over the years God will teach me many lessons about himself through our son, but today was a tender moment as the lessons began. I also pray that Ethan will come to see himself as poor in spirit and turn to Jesus to meet his needs at an early age!

No comments: