Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Catching Up!

Today I went to write a post and discovered I'd forgotten to blog about one of our hiking trips earlier in the month. WHOOPS!


On Columbus Day we took a trip up north. It was a great day for hike, and we were hoping for some bright leaves. The weather didn't cooperate to give us the best autumn glory this fall, but God's creativeness is still amazing!





Todd's trusty gazetteer told us the hike up Bald Mountain was an easy family hike. Well, for 75% of the way, it was true! Ethan ambled along and the trail was well maintained. And then we found our selves suddenly amid some different terrain. The rocks got bigger, the steps got higher. I began to set Ethan in places and then step up to him. He was a trooper though.


In fact, we called him Ethan MG, the MG standing for Mountain Goat, because he just walked up the rocks as we held his hands.



Another thing, you eat before you begin a climb. Doesn't matter that it sounds like a nice idea to eat at the top! Ethan kept asking for lunch during that 25% of the climb that was more challenging. We eventually made it to the top and found a picnic table waiting for us. YUM!

The top included a "fire" tower, so we were able to climb even higher. From there you could see lakes in all directions. It was a bit breezy, so we preferred the sun warmed rocks at the base of the tower.




Ethan MG was quite the tired boy on the way down, so Super Mommy had to help out a bit. Thankfully, down wasn't as tough as I thought it might be, but boy was it nice to hit the "easy" part of the trail again.

Next time, I think we better double check the gazetteer!

No comments: