Friday, December 7, 2012

Wanting to be a Wise Man

The days are full. I'm missing it. In the hustle and bustle and to do lists, I can sense the loss. I'm missing the heart of it. None of it is wrong in and of itself. The thinking of what others would like, the using resources wisely, the creativity, the baking, the wrapping, the decorating, the marking the tells and recounting the Story. None of it is wrong unless I continue to miss the most important thing. And so today, I stop. I don't want to miss it. Will you stop with me? This morning during my quiet time I found myself thinking about Bethlehem on the day God in baby soft skin arrived on our planet. It was probably similar to now. People hustling about eager to secure what they “needed”. Lots of families spending time together. People having to do something just because it was something they had to do. People passing coins- chances to give, chances to gain more. Business owners trying to make a profit. People focused on themselves or their own kin. In the midst of all this, God was moving. Would they see? Would they observe the star? Would they notice the King's arrival? And then I thought about the wise men. Men who observed a sign in the heavens. Men who were looking and saw the pinpoint of light's announcement. Men who acted and set out on a journey to find this newborn King. They would journey countless steps. They would remain steadfast. They would arrive much later, after the familiar stable scene. But they would still bend their knee, honor in their hearts, and then return home. What happened to these wise men afterwards? Were they still wealthy after their trip? What did they spend the rest of their days doing? What did it mean to worship through giving gifts? What did they believe about this child? How did it change their lives? How do you return home after this? We don't know. But I know that I want to be like the wise men. I want to seek Him out right now. I want to be different than the average Joe of Bethlehem. I want to stop all the hustle and bustle and not miss the most important thing. I want to saddle up my camel and journey to where He leads. What will I find? The wise men found Him, but I don't think it was in the form they expected. I want to pass by my “this is how I think it is” to find what God has for me. I want to bring my gifts- meager or rich, and I want to lay them before Him. I want to worship Him with my all. I don't want to just find the King, but knock myself down off the throne of my life daily and let Him take that place. It's a risky journey this being a wise man It's a strange journey, that must be entered into each day. This seeking, this bowing low, this worshipping. And it's a journey that can quickly come to an end at a fork in the road. One way takes me simply to Bethlehem with its busy shops and its counting of a census. The other way takes me also to Bethlehem, but on the incredible journey by faith, with eyes that see beyond to God in the midst. After all, He is Immanuel. Will you stop and get your camel ready and join me? I don't want to miss Him. ?

No comments: