Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Letter to Be Read When Ethan is a Father




















Dear Ethan,

Tonight at supper something happened that made Mommy and Daddy laugh and laugh. You wanted to know why we were laughing, and we wouldn't tell you. It's not that we're mean. It just wouldn't make sense to you at this point in your life. So we told you to ask us when you were a Daddy and sitting at the table with your children. 

I decided to record it here in hopes that one day you will read this and laugh, too. Tonight we had pork roast, scalloped potatoes and carrots. You thought the meal was going to be great. Until you saw the scalloped potatoes. You love cheesy potatoes- the kind that come from the box. This wasn't those. No. They weren't chemical orange. They didn't swim in a pool of sauce. They were real potatoes that once grew in dirt. They were smothered in a cheesy sauce made from milk, butter, flour and cheese. And they were topped with more golden melted cheese. They took longer to make than it takes to open a cardboard box and a bag, boil water, pour milk, and stir. And you weren't happy. You started to fuss. Even with ketchup on them you fussed. 

So when I went to get seconds of those potatoes I told you, "Yup. You're right. You couldn't eat these yucky potatoes before I do. Especially since they have ketchup on them. I'll be done before you." And suddenly you were cramming those potatoes in your mouth. No more complaining. Done. We could do nothing more than laugh. Our stubborn, headstrong boy who just loves a challenge, even when it doesn't make sense. 

 We hope one day you will laugh at this story. But more importantly, we pray that God will guide you and help you to handle great things....things bigger than scalloped potatoes! 

 Love you so much, Ethan. 

 Mommy

No comments: