Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Now I Know My ABC's

We haven't talked much about Ethan's school time, but we've kept at it. That also means each week we've changed a letter on the banner in his room into something that started with that letter.



Our finished banner. Tah-dah!







Besids sining the ABC's and recognizing the letters, Ethan's been interested in the sounds that they make. It's so exciting to have him stop me and say a word and then ask, "What's it start with?" He'll also say two words start with the same sound. YEAH! I love that he's trying to sound out words at times. He's also starting to want to write the letters. He does a pretty good writing his name, although it can be QUITE big compared to the space he has to work with. The teacher in me is LOVING this! The other thing that he's been doing is "memorizing" a nurseury rhyme each month. This morning he went back over the old ones and I was amazed at all he remembered. It's just too cute to watch him stand up and talk with his hands like someone else I know!

Besides letter and word activities, school time has also included some math activities. He has trouble saying thirteen and still gets some of his teens mixed up, but we keep practicing. He's also into sorting, comparing, and some beginning measuring. I'm trying not to push too much, but rather to have him explore and build number concepts.


Of course school also includes our Bible story and some time with God. He's getting familar with many of the stories thanks to our time and his experiences at church. Just ask him about Meschach, Shadrach, and Abednego! This month instead of poems or holiday songs, we've been singing praise and worship songs. It's so sweet to hear him singing these words of praise.

So, that's the update on school. I'm thinking we'll keep it up through May and see what the summer brings. If he wants it, his Mom is happy to keep going!

No comments: