Those Busy Days of Summer
Who says summer is relaxing? In my mind I think it's supposed to be. You know, sipping ice tea on the porch, splashing in the pool, eating picnics, watching the clouds drift by. But it seems like those quiet moments are spaced out between a week of many activities that have to be done. I don't know if it's just being in Maine where the summer is shorter or if it's our culture. I've been reading a very interesting book called the Rest of God, and I'm thinking regardless the stringing of one activity after another is of my own making. What about you? Is summer relaxing or harried? I pray today there are quiet moments spent enjoying the wonder of God's creating and sipping cool ice tea!
So what have we been so busy doing? Well....all good things. Just busy things.
Camp was great. We had a great week. I loved being able to be there and be useful. My friend Nicole and I were great partners in what we called being "Event Facilitators". We were able to help prepare things so that leaders and campers could be ready to have fun and hopefully also hear from God. It was a hot and tiring week too! It took us a few days to rest up afterwards.
While I was gone, a fire pit was added to the backyard. WHO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had a small fire one night. Small because I need to get a supply of wood, but ample enough to enjoy some toasted marshmallow goodness. YUM!
Then there was more Maine summer fun. We went kayaking on several ponds. We went to Popham beach. What an amazing place! We splashed and waded and played on the sunny shore all day. We collected shells and sand dollars.
Ethan had a blast too, although the whole way there he whined about wanting to go to a pond. We kayaked some more and picked blueberries at the water's edge.
We went to Acadia and hiked. Ethan's become quite a helper as our "pack mule". He did a great job and only tuckered out at the end of two short hikes.
Ethan and Mommy pushing on Bubble Rock. Can we make it fall?
We went to Gifford's, celebrated Todd's birthday, and just enjoyed time with friends. It was busy, but fun. And now we're looking at the last month of summer vacation and wondering where has it all gone. May the days be filled with a balance of rest and activity!
No comments:
Post a Comment